Friday, March 16, 2018

What I wanted to be when I grew up . . .

By Kelly Bridgewater

What am I now?

A child of God. A wife. A mom. A writer. A student. An avid reader.

Yes, that is all true, but it isn't all what I wanted to be when I was a little girl.

In college, I earned a BS in English with a minor in Creative Writing. In graduate school, I earned a MA in Writing, which means I had to complete a creative thesis 132 pages long and defend it to graduate. That was a lot of work, and I really enjoyed upper education.

But . . .

would you believe this bookworm and avid writer actually wanted to be something else when I was little.

First, I wanted to be a teacher. 
sheroes.in



I actually had a huge chalkboard in our living room. (Don't ask me how we got it. I don't know.)  I made my neighborhood kids come over, and we would do math and english. I even made worksheets and sent them home with homework. We had recess and lunch too. I enjoyed watching them learn something new. I even assigned a book that we could all read. If I only had a copy, than I loaned out my copy for them to read. It took a long time before we could actually get together and discuss the book. Sometimes real school would start before we all finished the novel.

Second, I wanted to be an astronaut.

pepperaddict.blogspot.com


I remember my Daddy sitting a blanket in our backyard. We would go out after dark and gaze into the night sky. I told my Daddy that I wanted to travel in outerspace and see different planets and stars. My Daddy looked somewhere for what subjects I needed to be good in in order to succeed as an astronaut. I needed to be good in Math and Science. Luckily for me, I attended a school system that had Magnet schools (kind of like an honor's program) for Math and Science. I have always made the honor rolls with practically straight A's, so I got accepted pretty quick. The math was upper level, and I had to study a lot in 6th and 7th grade to be successful. (As a writer, I still can go to the store today and do the total in my head without a calculator. I LOVE math as much as English.) Also, the science teachers at this school made science hands on and a lot of fun. I don't like science so much anymore.

What about you? What did you little version of yourself want to be when you grew up?

No comments:

Post a Comment