Friday, July 30, 2021

Why Write World War II Novels?

 By Kelly Bridgewater

 Why do you write in the genre you write in is a popular question that many people have asked me?

 My first World War II novel that I read, and I have read everything by her, is Sarah Sundin’s novels from her first series. I loved the stories and couldn’t wait to get my hand on more of her writing.

 When I was a little girl, I would spend time at my maternal grandfather’s house and ask him about stories when he was a little boy. I learned some funny stories. Like where he got his middle name. His middle is Emerald, just like the paint color.

 When my grandfather was born, they had not picked out a name for him, so his mother saw a paint can in the windowsill that they were using to paint something, and it read Emerald Green paint, so they named his middle name Emerald. Too funny. And that name has been passed down to my uncle and my cousin. A strong legacy for sure.

Have you heard of the American Girl Dolls?

www.ebay.com


 Of course, who hasn’t.

Anyways, as a young girl, I received the catalog, but my parents didn’t make a lot of money, so I never received one. I always wanted a Molly doll. She is an eight-year-old girl who was surviving World War II in America. It talks about all the struggles she has to deal with while her father has been shipped off to fight. All the sacrifices her family has to make back home. I wanted to learn more about World War II and devoured Molly’s stories.

I love a story with a redemption story and / or a transformation story, so World War II is populated with brave heroes and heroines who amaze me with every different story that I read. I can’t imagine being the age of some of these characters and doing what they had to do. They are true hero’s in my eyes. I love their bravery.

Plus, I fascinated with the time period. How could others fall in line so easily without questioning anything that was going on? I guess, with the current state of America, we might be figuring this question outside for ourselves. I pray that I am wrong. But it doesn’t look good for America’s future.

What about you? What draws you to write stories in a certain time period?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment