Friday, April 23, 2021

She-Sheds: Are They Real?

 By Kelly Bridgewater

 

You know those State Farm commercials with the She-Shed’s on fire. Of course, we have all seen them.

 

But . . . do women actually own them.

 

When you watch all those home hunter shows, the husbands need their man caves or they need offices or guest bedrooms. But I never hear them mention a room for the woman to get away from all the chores in the house or the constant demand on mom’s time. The mother, in my cases, including mine, is the most busiest person in the house. We have to work outside the home. I do know a lot of mothers that their husbands make enough money that they don’t have to do that. Unfortunately, my husband makes more than the average income in our area, but not enough money for me to stay at home. I did while the boys were younger, but now they are all in school, I have earned a job outside of the home. We cook dinner when we come home. We help with homework. We make sure the chores and baths are done. We make sure all the animals are feed, watered, and restroom breaks.

 

I have heard a number of husbands say that the whole house belongs to the wife.

 

What!

 

That isn’t true.

 

All these other people keep roaming around my space. It isn’t my dirty dishes all over the kitchen counter and table. It isn’t my dirty laundry all over the floor in the bedrooms. It isn’t my dirty bathroom.

 

Where is my space where no one else can invade? Husbands need their own rooms, but the wife gets to claim the house with everything else included. How is that fair?

 

Yep, sounds like a two year old complaining about his toys.

 

But I know of a couple of writers that have she-sheds in their own backyards that they go outside and write in.

 

I know writers that have husbands that will watch the kids while the wife goes to the local coffee shop and writes her stories a couple of times a week.

I know writers who actually attend writing groups every week. Women who actually go to the salon to work on their hair.

 

Not that I’m high maintenance, but I would love some time away from all the worries that affect my daily life.

 

What about you? Do you have a place that you go to when you need to work on drafting a story?

 

Come back next week where I’m going to talk about creative places to craft your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment