Friday, April 30, 2021

Creative Places to Craft Stories

 By Kelly Bridgewater

 

Like I mentioned last week, it would be nice to have somewhere to go to force me to write my stories.

 

Doesn’t have to be somewhere fancy.

 

Just somewhere that doesn’t have my three boys, two dogs, and my husband begging for my attention. Like my house does.

 

Somewhere I am not tempted to clean the kitchen or fold laundry.

Somewhere where my boys are asking me to help them with their homework. Not that I don’t like helping them, but sometimes it drains a person physically and emotionally to always be helping someone else all the time.

 

While I live out in the middle of nowhere, it takes about 30 minutes to get anywhere, so I really can’t plan to drive to a local coffee shop and hang out for hours writing. Not when I get home from work at 5:30, then have to be up at 5:45 the next morning.

 

We do own some land. Partially wooded. Partially flat land for our garden. A creek that runs through the middle of the property. I have decided to sit on the top of the hill that overlooks the creek and faces the back of our house.

 

It is quiet. I usually take our two-year-old golden retriever and almost nine-year-old Beagle with me as I sit there. Most of the time, it is just enjoying my time without any distractions, and I don’t write much, but it is nicer than being in the house at times.

 

Especially in the fall, I love being surrounded by the cold air and the beautiful colors. In the winter, it is colder, but I love sitting near the snow and listening to the snow fall through the trees. Snow actually makes noise. Don’t believe me. Then sit outside when it is snowing and listen. It is a nice little whisper.

 

I love the smell of the cold air too, so it is nice to sit there and pet my dogs. Not much writing gets done though.

 

What about you? Do you have a unique place to sit and allow the creative juices to flow? Where is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment