Friday, March 29, 2019

Bad Reviews


By Kelly Bridgewater

I do ALOT of reviewing here on my personal blog. I love sharing about good books and wonderful authors. Being an avid bookworm, I think it is important to share my love of good books with others. 

Why else do we read? It is a blast to find someone who needs suggestions for a book. I always start with, "Well what genre do you enjoy? Then I can suggest authors."

BUT . . .

what about people who review books and write horrible reviews.

I always a telling my son that to win an argument you have to be able to defend with valid reasons why you are in the right.

For instance, when arguing with the IRS, I have used examples and math to prove them wrong. I'm always asking the kids to be able to defend their argument.

I look for bad reviews that actually can defend their argument more than the characters were boring and the plot didn't move me. How? Where the characters shallow? Give examples. Was the plot interesting? Why? Show how. Mention how it captured you. How is the writing? Does the author grasp the concepts of a good writer?

On Goodreads lately, as soon as a cover is linked to the author's upcoming book, some reviewers are giving them a 1 or a 2. Obviously, the book doesn't come out for about nine months, so no one but the author and maybe the publishing company has the book, so why are the readers putting bad reviews up on Goodreads?

What about you? Do you actually read bad reviews? What drives you nuts about bad reviews?

No comments:

Post a Comment