Friday, January 12, 2018

What I Learned in 2017 (Part II)



By Kelly Bridgewater

Last week, I shared my heart and showed what I struggled with during 2017.

Even through all this struggle, I hunted in the Bible for others who were mad at God. Something to prove I wasn't alone in this despair. God drew me to David in the Psalms.

In Psalms 27, David wrote, " Do not hide your face from me; Do not turn your servant away in anger; You have been my help; Do not leave me nor forsake me, O God of my salvation" (verse 9).

In Psalm 25, David wrote, "For I am desolate and afflicted. The troubles of my heart enlarged; Bring me out o my distresses" (verse 16-17).

In Psalm 6, David also wrote, "But you, O Lord--how long? . . . I am weary with my groaning: All night I make my bed swim: I drench my couch with my tears. My eye wastes away because of grief; 
It grows old because of my enemies" (verse 3,6-7).

I spent many days in the Psalms studying these verses. I even yelled them off my backporch, praying God would hear and understand my despair.

Luckily, even through all this anger, I learned an important lesson.

God created anger. Yes, it is an emotion we are endowed with. But . . . how we use it is the important part.

I could have thrown my Bible to the wind and never looked back at God. (Trust me, there were moments when that seemed the easy way out. He wasn't helping me anyway. At least, in my hurt, it felt that way.)











But instead, God lead me to verses to show David feeling the same way. Alone. Like God didn't care. Hurt. Depressed. I sought refuge in God's Word. I sought peace and understanding that brought a little light to my injustice.

I learned it is okay to be angry at God for the trials in our lives, but how we handle the valleys show the depth of our character. I hope that I have become a better person on the other side and show others God love even when I wanted to throw in the towel or Bible in this instance.

How about you? Do you feel it is okay to be angry at God? My mom didn't. Until I explained what I learned and showed her the verses I found. Now I think my mother has come onto my side.

Have you ever been angry at God? What did you learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment