Friday, June 2, 2023

Happily, Ever After: Is it Really Needed?

 By Kelly Bridgewater

Does every story need to end with a marriage or a proposal?

I believe not.

But it does seem like every story whether contemporary romance, romantic suspense, or historical romance must be tied up with the wedding scene or a proposal between the heroine and the hero.

 

caluyadesign.com

It is good if you are looking forward to that type of ending.

But not me.

It never rings true to me.

The characters may have been thrown in a death defying moment or running from a killer, but do they have to be married or engaged by the end of the story?

I enjoy stories, like television series or movies, that end in a cliffhanger. Not that many novels do that.

There has been a couple of series like David James Warren’s Remembrandt Stone’s series and Terri Blackstock’s If I Run series that have been left in a cliffhanger. Definitely enjoyed these stories.

I want more of these stories.

How about you? Or do you enjoy the predictable and unoriginal happy moment at the end of your stories? Why do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment