Friday, September 9, 2022

9/11 Remembrance

 By Kelly Bridgewater

I understand the horrors of what happened on 9/11/01.

It was a violation of America.

No different than the horrors of Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.

Different generations.

Different effect.

www.youtube.com


I was nineteen years old and about four months pregnant with our first son.

I was attending college at IUPUI in downtown Indianapolis.

We were sent home early because no one knew if there would be more attacks, and they wanted to clear out the downtown of Indy, just in case, Indy was on the targeted list.

I remember going home and watching the reruns over and over.

No one knew what was happening.

Everyone was glued to their televisions and waiting on news.

But

I remember how America came together.

We supported each other.

Color did not matter. Race did not matter. Gender did not matter.

We were Americans.

Today, America is so divided by the stupid things the government wants to divide us by.

I wish we could remember the feeling after 9/11 or even the feeling after Pearl Harbor when Americans felt violated and would do anything to defend the freedoms we have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment