Friday, February 5, 2021

Why I Can't Stand Romance Novels or Movies

By Kelly Bridgewater

 What a title!

For the month of February, most television shows want to promote romance novels and movies. Totally understand. This is a huge business. Most movies by women and novels that are read by women are romance novels, so publishers and producers might as well cater to their biggest audience.

 

As for me, I can’t stand the Hallmark or Lifetime channel moves. All of their stories are cookie cutters with no difference. Yes, it is a different hero or heroine, BUT they have the same issues. Can’t trust men. Can’t afford men because they are completing career driven. Can’t love men because there heart has been broken before. Either as a past boyfriend or a father figure.

 

While these are true moments to life, they are usually centered around a fictional town with the perfect snow for Christmas, which never actually happens where I live. Unfortunately.

 

Their romance is too cookie cutter too. By about half-way through the movie or book, emotions are starting to spark all over the pages. They want to spend time together. They don’t want to spend time together. When they are together, they become an automatic klutz and things happen to create conflict between the two characters. While I do believe this can happen, I think the emotions happen to fast and allow me to doubt the cause of the emotions.

 

I want a realistic romance with conflict from the start of the movie.

 

I enjoy high suspense and thrills in my stories. My favorite movie series currently is the Fast and Furious Franchise. Tons of action. There is romance. There is suspense, but a love of family overall. Typical California setting though unless they are in a different country.

 

What about you? Do you enjoy romance novels? Do you do movie binges with Hallmark and Lifetime movies?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment