Friday, March 24, 2017

Psalm 27:3 - 4

By Kelly Bridgewater

Psalm 27: 3 - 4

"In this I will be confident

One thing I have desired of the Lord,
That will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life;
To behold the beauty of the Lord,
And to inquire in His temple."

 Have you noticed something about the written verses up above?
There are A LOT of action verbs. You know what action verbs are. Think back to elementary. Action verbs do action. In verse 4, David is writing to show us how to happy. To be happy, we must desire the Lord, seek him, dwell in this house, behold His beauty, and to inquire in His temple. 
  
DESIRE:

We must love the Lord and do what he wants us to do with our talents. Not allow them to run away and die without using them for his Glory. 

SEEK:

We must spend time with God. I know we are all busy. We have a family and house to take care of. We have our children's sports and music programs. We have our reading to do. We have our writing to do. 

BUT . . .
if we don't spend time with the Lord and seek His face, then we become like the people in the world. We won't know the Bible and have nothing to stand on when times get rough. And boy, do they get rough. 

donotdepart.com


DWELL:

This goes kind of hand in hand with Seek. We need to spend time in God's Word. Dwell in it. Actually get lost in it. Spend time with God. DAILY. Even I'm guilty of allowing life to get in the way. I have plenty of time to read my books for review, but there are days that I allow the Bible reading and quiet time with God to take a backseat. 
 This year, I want to intently be better at that. It doesn't hurt to spend ten to fifteen minutes while I'm drinking my cup of coffee or hot tea to read the Bible at the same time. 

BEHOLD:

Have you ever went out to a field far away from the city lights and laid down with worship music playing from the car radio? I have. We took our boys camping in Brown County. One evening, we loaded up the car and headed to this cliff overlooking the Nashville, IN, valley. It was completely black. You could see the boys running around but really nothing else. It was a clear night. We turned on a worship CD (classic Sonicflood) and sang along while gazing into the night sky. It was a real experience. Seeing the vastness of God's creation and worshiping right back at him. Try it sometime. It was very moving. 

INQUIRE:

Are you learning all you can from your church? Are you willing to ask your Pastor for advice on something? We are supposed "to inquire in His temple." I take that to mean that we are supposed to learn more than what the Pastor preaches from the pulpit. I remember a saying, (don't ask me who said it) "Don't believe what I say. Research what I say." That is what we should be doing with the sermon's our pastor gives. Spend time learning more about what he says. Research his reference verses. Is he using them out of context or would there have been a better verse? I'm not saying confront your pastor with your thoughts because that is NOT right, but studying more on your time is completely allowed. 

What do you think of the ACTION verbs in this verse? Is it a call for a closer walk with the Lord? Have anything else to add. Don't hesitate to comment. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment