Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Writing Woes

  By K. L. Bridgewater

After completing four different writing contests in the past eight months and not placing at all, I have been feeling a little down in the dumps lately. I have been studying the Bible and seeking God through His Word and through Worship music. Doubt has crept in and made me think I can't do this writing thing. Why bother? It is a lot of work. Some writer friends I know are winning at these contests over and over again. I have friends that are paying to be self-published, and they are bragging all over Facebook that there book is getting reviews, even though most of them are bad reviews unless they are family members. Yes, the jealousy bug has overtaken my desire to create a good story.

A couple of days ago, the Lord led me to a verse that I know by heart: Philippians 4:6: "Do not be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God."  I wrote a two page single typed letter to God, whining about how I have been doing this writing for almost twenty years, and I'm still not placing in contests. I still have a lot to learn. But I would like to see some validation for all my years of hard work.

For the next couple of days, I have been worshiping God as I watched my niece and nephew who came to hang out with my boys for an entire week. Going swimming, catching fireflies at night, baking cookies in the kitchen, and putting together a puzzle were a good way to forget about my writing woes and create memories with my children and niece and nephew.

Not to be so negative this time, but I have learned to worship, and I have spent more time studying God's Word in the last couple of weeks. Maybe God wanted to draw me closer to him. Maybe this will help my writing in the end. If not, at least, I do have a bright side to my writing problems, I have drawn closer in my relationship to God, which is the ultimate goal in my life.

Has there every been a time where you wanted to throw in the towel and stop writing? What did you hold on to to return to writing? Has God ever allowed you to fall more in love with him, which in turn made something in your life better on the other side?

I would love to hear your stories to inspire me to keep writing. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment