Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I Like Big Books, and I Can Not Lie

                                                    By K. L. Bridgewater

This next Saturday, in Noblesville, Indiana, Half-Price Books is having their annual clearance sale where everything is $3 or less. Books. Videos. Music.  I can't wait to go! Have I mentioned that I love books? Probably as much as those woman who can't pass a shoe sale without buying something. I own five pairs of shoes: flip flops, dressy sandals, tennis shoes, black high heels, and dressy shoes.

Books are a different story. Every time I visit Indianapolis, I have to stop at a number of Half-Price Books stores to buy a new book. Roaming through the store to the Christian fiction section brings a hope to my step. I can't wait to see what books they have. Last month, I bought Trinity by Ronie Kendig. Rubbing the cover, I flipped open the book and gasped. Someone turned in an autograph copy. I had a fifteen minute mentor appointment with Ronie Kendig at the ACFW conference last September, but I didn't have any of her books at that time, so this was a nice surprise. A year ago, I picked up an autograph copy of Diva Nashvegas by Rachel Hauck. Another find!! Why people get rid of autograph copies of books, I'll never understand.

My local library has a book sale every first Saturday of the month. I'm usually one of the first ones in line, waiting for the employee to click the lock, so I can peruse the piles of books in the basement. Touching the spines of the books, I wait for a book to grab my attention. I have found my interest in Julie Lessman's writing by paying a dollar for her book A Passion Redeemed. I loved the storyline and keep an eye out for her other books. Being a huge C.S. Lewis fan, I found Til We Have Faces for fifty cents. It brought a smile to my face.

Going to yard sales all summer long, I shop for barely used clothes for my growing sons and for Christmas presents. Last summer, I discovered a first edition of C. S. Lewis Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe. The lady wanted a quarter for it. I paid for it and hugged my treasure to my chest. She didn't know what she had. But I did!!! It sits on my shelf with pride.

Where do you find books that are rare and unique with autographs? Do you hunt out used book stores? Do you visit yard sales for book treasures? Or am I the only crazy one who hunts like this for my next great literary escape?

No comments:

Post a Comment