Friday, April 28, 2023

Imagination is Wasted on the Young

 By Kelly Bridgewater 

When I was a child, I had a vivid imagination. I spent ALL the time outside playing in my best friend, Robin’s side yard or spending hours playing with my Barbies.

I could imagine the IceLand World that Robin and I created in my mind’s eye.

We rode on tree limbs as if they were our horses galloping across the open plains.

We swung on the swings high above the lava flowing under our feet.

We swam to the deepest oceans as mermaids in her five foot swimming pool.

 

www.hdwallpapers.in

Now as an adult, I really do not imagine much.

Which is probably why I have a hard time crafting my novels.

I can’t place myself in my character’s bodies anymore.

With this generation, I notice that imagination is not as important or vital as it was to much childhood. My youngest son does NOT have an imagination, which is why I believe it is hard for him to enjoy reading a novel. He does not make the pictures and images occur in his mind while he reads.

That is a problem.

Any suggestions on how to bring imagination to my youngest son so he can enjoy reading? Or any suggestions to me to help me bring my imagination back, so I can write the novels I know that God wants me to create?

No comments:

Post a Comment