Friday, February 4, 2022

What Motivates My Writing?

 By Kelly Bridgewater

Imagination inspired C.S. Lewis.

Languages and words inspired J.R. R. Tolkien.

But what about me?

If I ever write a novel again, what would they said motivated my writing?

I don’t really know.

I don’t live an important life.

I don’t have debt.

I married when I was 19 years old.

Attended college. Earned two degrees.

Worked at that university.

Raised my boys.

Loved my husband.

Loved my dogs.

I don’t know what they would say.

I have a hard time using my imagination since my Daddy died six years ago. I read stories of Lewis and Tolkien and how they slaved over their stories every day, but I do not do that anymore. I would love to. The ideas and desire is still there, but when it comes to actually sitting down and writing the story. Nothing.

Satan really haunts me.

Then I self-doubt myself and my writing abilities.

Even though, I have a Masters in Writing.

I think, sometimes, if I could get away somewhere where there is no distraction like housework, husband, boys, then maybe I would be able to allow my imagination to wander.

But I know writers that flourish in the hustle and bustle of normal life.

Not me.

I enjoy my solitary moments with no one around.

Allows me time to think.

What about you? What will be said about you? What motivates you to craft the next Great American Novel?

No comments:

Post a Comment