Friday, December 6, 2019

Meaningful Gifts


By Kelly Bridgewater

Couple of years ago, I hunted and shopped for  the perfect gift for my three boys. I start in the summer. Maybe find some things at Yard Sales, which I LOVE buying clothes at. (I have found ALL my boys' clothes there. They wear name brand clothes that I pay only $1 for a pair of pants and shirts. Love this!)

Anyways, I glance at the clearance section for toys and shoes. Anything for a bargain. My husband and I agreed when we first started buying presents for our boys that the limit would be $100 per child for Christmas. Either one big present or tons of little ones. Of course, when they were little. This meant more presents under the tree. Now as an seventeen-year-old, fourteen-year-old, and an eleven-year-old, they have moved onto bigger and more expensive items. But the budget stays the same.
Last year and this year, we have decided not to purchase gifts for the boys. It saves a lot of headache at Christmas, but as a family, we spend more time doing things together. Making Christmas cookies for the neighbors. Writing Christmas letters and cards to friends and family who don't live close. Play board games on the weekends. Watch Christmas movies. Even sit and read with the Christmas lights on and Christmas music playing. Sometimes just sit in the dark with the tree lights on and talk. Christmas has been about making memories, not what is found under the tree. Yes, they will have one small present, but I want to make memories. I hated when they couldn't tell me six month later what they received the past Christmas. 

Image result for free christmas images
pinterest


So we have decided to purchase a ticket to an event which is unique to each child. They will attend said event with both parents but no other sibling. We take them to dinner and then attend the event. 

My boys actually can't wait to see what event they are spending time with their parents is. They really look forward to that day.

It makes me happy too because they can tell me years later about that night and their favorite parts.

What about you? Do you do anything that is different for Christmas? Something to make the time of the year more special for your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment