Friday, November 10, 2017

Ability to Storytell Part II



By Kelly Bridgewater

Last week, if you missed it, I wrote about a number of things I did to spark my imagination as a young girl. It is important to read that before reading this post because they go together. Go ahead. 

Read that post. I'll be waiting.

Right.

Here.

Go.

 . . .


Welcome back.

Part two begins here:


www.clipartof.com

As long as I could remember, I have been telling stories to entertain myself. In fourth grade, I started to write stories down. I would even write different endings to movies that I liked, for instance, the Mighty Duck series. Or I would write down stories that happened in the fall or around Christmas to cool myself and remind me of those feelings we all get at the holiday season. I wrote a number of stories featuring haunted houses, mansions, forests.  

When I entered high school, there was a journalist program, where you could write for the school newspaper. Since I wanted to write and had no other creative outlet at the time, I signed up and wrote for my high school paper for three years. But my love was still creative writing. I needed some outlet for my imagination to flourish, so I started stories while sitting at my desk in class. Of course, I didn't do it when I was supposed to be working on school assignments, but every spare moment, I was scribbling away in a number of diaries that I turned into my creative outlet.

After a number of years of getting married and having three boys, I graduated with my Bachelor's in English with a minor in Creative Writing. While the creative writing part did not spark my imagination, thanks to a certain teacher, I did write stories to earn my degree.

In graduate school, I earned a MA in Writing, and I opted to complete a creative thesis where I had to write and defend a 120 page creative collection of short stories. It was different, but it still didn't seem to be the best stories I could write. I understood I was working on the process, but it didn't feel that inspiring.

Since graduating and being a stay-at-home mother who is homeschooling our third son, I have completed four complete 90,000 words romantic suspense novels. They were exciting, and I love seeing how far I could push the button with my characters.

In the past three years, I have fallen in love with World War II history set in London. I have done tons of research and keep watching documentaries on what happened in London. I have outline, very roughly, the idea for three World War II novels set in London during 1938-1940. I have the heroines and the heroes lined up and waiting for me to write their story.

But two years ago on October 31, my Daddy died. My creative juices tanked. I haven't written anything, and I mean nothing. Not a short story. Not a summary. Not a plot synopsis. Nothing. I sit at the computer, and my mind goes blank. I have looked over a number of my novels, but nothing sparks an idea. 

www.picgifs.com


In the past couple of months, after months of praying and worshiping God to bring my desire of my heart back, I get flashes of inspiration, and have picked up a number of research books to read and take notes, but I haven't actually gotten into the mood to write anything yet. There are days I hear the Lord nudging me to sit back at my computer and write, so I think the days are coming, but not yet.

I honestly can't wait to get back into my creative zone and write my World War II novels. I think they need to be told. During this trial with my Daddy's passing and other issues in my life, I think I can make the faith journey more humbling for my readers, which is what I really want to accomplish anyways.

Sorry for the long posts!

What about you? Can you trace your writing journey? Where did it start? Are you stuck in a non-writing world right now? Hints to get out of a non-writing funk.

No comments:

Post a Comment