Friday, October 31, 2014

NaNoWriMo

By Kelly Bridgewater

 Tomorrow is the start of November. A couple of things happen in this eleventh month of the year. Thanksgiving. My birthday. Veteran's Day. Black Friday. NaNoWriMo.

NaNoWriMoWhat is NaNoWriMo you might be asking? If you don't know, then let me explain. NaNoWriMo stands for "National Novel Writing Month." The participants have to write 50,000 words in thirty days, which is really hard during the month of November because of preparing for the upcoming holidays. You know, baking for Thanksgiving and decorating for Christmas while shopping at unGodly hours on Black Friday or is it Black Thursday now? I'm not one of those shoppers who shop on Thanksgiving. I have the mind set that if the gift isn't there when I go shopping after 8am on Friday, then it isn't meant to me. I haven't been disappointed yet. Every year, I still find the specials that people have sacrificed their Thanksgiving for around nine in the morning on Friday.

Off my shopping rant and back to NaNoWriMo. This is my second year participating. Last year, I wrote a 80,000 word novel titled Missing in the 30 day time span. This year, I hope to finish my first book in my three part series titled Face of Admiration.

It is a lot of work trying to write a complete novel in thirty days. You have to shut off your internal editor and just type at the computer, allowing the words and the plot to flow. I actually enjoyed it last year. I felt more creative, even though I did start with an outline of how I thought the book would have went, but as I sat and wrote, I kept discovering new aspects to the plot that I needed to include before I jumped to the next chapter. It was thrilling. I can't wait to punch away the hours at the keyboard again.

Have you ever participated in NaNoWriMo? I would love to know any advice anyone has to give me. I know this will be fun and hectic all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment