Friday, May 3, 2024

Libraries are Our Friends

 By Kelly Bridgewater

When I was a young kid, my mother made all three of us kids hop on our bikes and ride 5 miles one way through the west side of Indianapolis to the local library.

pexels.com


It was long, and I was swear it was longer than what the map says.

These trips opened my eyes to the world of reading.

Have not stopped reading since.

My love of Nancy Drew, The Baby-sitter’s Club, and Sweet Valley High started during these summer treks to the library. I would check out what I could carry home in our backpacks.

Nothing better than coming home with all those books.

First thing, I always did, and still do, is admire the beautiful covers, then flip through the words on the pages.

Then of course, readers must find a comfortable place without any distractions to jump into the stories.

I love laying down on my belly and reading a book propped up to read.

Love these memories down memory lane.

However, when I had children, I did the same thing by walking to the local library.

But now, since we live so far out in the country, and our county does not even have a local library, (How sad!) I have relied on my Kindle for my reading obsession. It is easy to download a book that I have been wanting to read forever for 99 cents or two dollars when it goes on sale, then read it later.

I still pray that libraries never go away. They are hugely important to our society.

How about you? Any fond memories of the library that have impacted your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment