Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Roseanna M. White: The Lost Heiress

By Kelly Bridgewater

From Amazon
Back Cover Copy:

Brook Eden has never known where she truly belongs. Though raised in the palace of Monaco, she's British by birth and was brought to the Grimaldis under suspicious circumstances as a babe. When Brook's friend Justin uncovers the fact that Brook is likely a missing heiress from Yorkshire, Brook leaves the sun of the Mediterranean to travel to the moors of the North Sea to the estate of her supposed family.

The mystery of her mother's death haunts her, and though her father is quick to accept her, the rest of the family and the servants of Whitby Park are not. Only when Brook's life is threatened do they draw close--but their loyalty may come too late to save Brook from the same threat that led to tragedy for her mother.

As heir to a dukedom, Justin is no stranger to balancing responsibilities. When the matters of his estate force him far from Brook, the distance between them reveals that what began as friendship has grown into something much more. But how can their very different loyalties and responsibilities ever come together?

And then, for a second time, the heiress of Whitby Park is stolen away because of 
the very rare treasure in her possession--and this time only the servants of Whitby can save her.

My Thoughts:

I have never read anything from Roseanna White. I have seen her books, but they were very historical looking covers with the lady in the long dress and the ships in the background. I didn’t feel any urge to pick them up and buy them. But with her newest release The Lost Heiress by Bethany House publishers, I loved the image of Brook on the cover and the synopsis on the back sounded intriguing. So I picked up a copy.

White does a good job at creating the historical time period with the descriptive words. I enjoyed the struggle the characters had with the differences between driving the new “automobiles” or riding their horses. It made me wonder if I would have had the same dilemma if I lived in 1910. One of White’s greatest strengths, in my humble opinion, is her ability to paint a picture with her words. I really felt like I was roaming Brook’s father’s home and riding the horse through the back pasture. Her attention to detail really drew me in.

The conflict surrounding the red diamond aka Fire Eyes grabbed my attention. I wanted to know as much as Brook did why she didn’t live with her father after her mother died. I kept waiting for the journal to explain, but after finishing the complete novel and writing this review, I realized that White never explained why Brook went to live with the opera singer’s family. Why didn’t she return home? There was a mention of a newspaper article sent to her mother. I don’t know if this was what White wanted to satisfy that question, but it didn’t work for me. As an avid fan of suspense, this mystery seemed alright. It didn’t leave me begging for more and staying up all night to read, but fans of lighter mysteries might enjoy this one.

The characters weren’t that two dimensional. I really didn’t relate to either of them. Jack and Brook wanted nothing more than to be together and have their happily-ever-after. They were characters that I didn’t hate, but I wished I could have liked them more. The mystery element gripped my attention more.

Overall, Roseanna M. White’s The Lost Heiress is a cozy historical mystery with lackluster characters, but White’s attention to detail will grab any readers of historical dramas.

Roseanna M. White
From Amazon
Roseanna M. White’s Writing Bio:

Roseanna M. White grew up in the mountains of West Virginia, the beauty of which inspired her to begin writing as soon as she learned to pair subjects with verbs. She spent her middle and high school days penning novels in class, and her love of books took her to a school renowned for them. After graduating from St. John's College in Annapolis, Maryland, she and her husband moved back to the Maryland side of the same mountains they equate with home. 

Roseanna is the author of two biblical novels, A Stray Drop of Blood and Jewel of Persia, both from WhiteFire Publishing (www.WhiteFire-Publishing.com), and Love Finds You in Annapolis, Maryland, a historical romance, with Summerside Press. She is the senior reviewer at the Christian Review of Books, which she and her husband founded, the senior editor at WhiteFire Publishing, and a member of ACFW, HisWriters, HEWN Marketing, and Colonial Christian Fiction Writers.

Where to connect with Roseanna M. White:

Where to purchase The Lost Heiress:
Your local Favorite Bookstore


What element of historical mysteries do you enjoy the most? What makes you pick up a historical romance novel?

No comments:

Post a Comment